Being physically active every day is important for people of all ages. Being active can help you achieve and maintain a healthy weight and helps to prevent chronic disease. It also helps you to relieve stress, sleep better and gives you the chance to interact with your family and friends and meet new people.
Ronghua Health Recovery Centre recommends:
- Think of movement as an opportunity, not an inconvenience.
- Be active every day in as many ways as you can.
- Engage in at least 30 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity on most, preferably all, days.
- And if possible, also enjoy some regular, vigorous activity for extra health and fitness.
Finding ways to be active everyday
Being more active every day doesn’t have to be hard work, it’s just about finding new ways of doing things.
- Do you drive to work every day and park as close as you can to your office? Why not park around the block and add a 5 minute walk to your every day routine.
- Do you fight the traffic to drop the kids at school each day? Perhaps you could walk to school instead or park around the block and walk with the kids to the front gate.
- Do you sit down to talk on the phone? Why not stand up and walk around while chatting.
30 minutes of physical activity every day
For good health, we should put together at least 30 minutes of moderate intensity physical activity every day. You may choose to do this all at once or you can split it up into 10-15minutes blocks. Moderate intensity physical activity is being active enough that your heart is beating a little bit faster, you might start to feel a little puffed but should still be able to hold a conversation. But if you can sing, you need to work a little bit harder!
Keep in mind that the above recommendations are for general health – if your goal is to lose weight you may need to do more than 30 minutes.
Remember to always discuss your exercise plans with your doctor or an Accredited Exercise Physiologist especially if you have been inactive for a long time, have any medical conditions or injuries.